Emotional Dependency: an extreme need for attention and affection
In situations of Emotional Dependency, people tend to have an insatiable need for attention and affection, which can lead to negative behaviors and emotions.
The Emotional dependence It is a need towards another person in an intense and obsessive way, which can greatly affect the life of the person who experiences it. This extreme need for attention and affection It puts the person in a situation where they cannot feel good about themselves if they are not in a specific relationship or emotional interaction.
Emotional Dependency typically occurs in romantic relationshipsbut it can also occur in other relationships, such as friendships, family or work.
Factors that can contribute to Emotional Dependency
Some of the risk factors that can cause this condition are:
- Early emotional deficiencies: The lack of attention, affection and affection during childhood can cause a person to desperately seek these needs in adulthood, which can lead to Emotional Dependency.
- Low self-esteem: People with Low Self-Esteem may feel insecure, constantly need the approval and validation of others, and be afraid of being alone. These thoughts and behaviors can contribute to Emotional Dependency
- Fear of abandonment: The need to have someone in life can lead the person to fear abandonment and being alone
- Devaluating overprotection: When a person feels that their partner or person they depend on gives them attention or support, but also discredits them and does not value them, they may feel more in need of attention and affection.
- Sociocultural factors and gender: In some cases, cultural and gender attitudes can contribute to Emotional Dependency. Women are often expected to be emotional and dependent, while men are expected to be independent and emotionally strong.
The importance of going to a specialist
In situations of Emotional Dependency, people tend to have an insatiable need for attention and affection, which can lead to negative behaviors and emotions. There may be feelings of Anxiety and Stress extremes when the other person is not present and controlling behaviors of the other person or even of obsession. Over time, Emotional Dependency can be detrimental to a person’s quality of life.
It is important to receive Professional Help if you experience Emotional dependence, especially since it is a condition that can be detrimental to a person’s mental and emotional health.
Common treatments include psychological therapies such as Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral or Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.