I have gastroenteritis: Diet, advice and false myths
What to do if you have gastroenteritis? This is a fertile field for rumor mill and where each family has its ‘magic recipe’ to stop evil. But the doctors are clear about the advice and diet against gastroenteritis to get out of the trance as soon as possible and, above all, avoid major problems.
The first 12 hours
It is advisable do not eat solid foods. If they are small children, the estimated time is 4 to 6 hours, and at least 12 hours in the case of adults. During this interval, only drinks with mineral salts for oral rehydration or alkaline lemonade, drinking in small quantities, continuously.
– The oral rehydration salts They are prepared with serum sachets that are purchased exclusively in pharmacies.
– The alkaline lemonade It can be prepared at home with 1 liter of boiled water, adding the juice of 2 or 3 lemons, half a teaspoon of baking soda, half a teaspoon of salt and 2 or 3 tablespoons of sugar.
When the first phase has been controlled (doctors estimate that you go to the toilet less than 3 times per day), gradually solid dietIn small quantities.
soups riceof carrot or of fish.
puree potatoes or carrot.
Egg soaked in water, hard or in a tortilla.
White fish cooked or grilled.
Meat of bird cooked or grilled. Without skin.
Apple roasted, oxidized apple with a drop of lemon (grated or peeled and cut into pieces, leaving it in the air for a while to oxidize), quince either banana ripe.
White bread toasted.
At breakfast, clear infusions of tea or chamomilesweetened with saccharin.
Do not take milk nor derivatives. They can tolerate natural yogurt and the fresh cheeses after a visible improvement.
The fruits and vegetables raw foods will be avoided. Green vegetables like chard, spinach or lettuceas well as the ingestion of almonds, compotes, walnuts and black breadfor its laxative effect.
Nothing of sweets: Candies, chocolates, cake shop and sugar in general.
Avoid very cold drinksdrinks refreshing and the mineral-medicinal waters with gas.
In any case, if you experience persistent diarrhea or high fever, a consultation with your doctor is recommended.
Tips to prevent it
The Spanish Society of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology has developed a series of simple tips to follow:
1. Wash your hands with soap and water, especially after using the bathroom or changing diapers. It is also important to do it before eating.
2. When cooking, we must clean surfaces, boards, knives and other utensils before starting to cook and every time we have used them.
3. Keep foods of animal origin separate from those consumed raw from purchase to preparation.
4. Wash fruits and vegetables very well.
5. Cook food well before consuming it, since heat destroys most of the infectious agents present in food.
6. It is important to preserve food well, especially those that require refrigeration. Furthermore, you should not eat any after their expiration date.
7. Under no circumstances should you prepare food if you have vomiting or diarrhea.
8. In case of vomiting and diarrhea, it is important to disinfect dirty surfaces with bleach and wash dirty clothes and bedding, handling these clothes with care.