Browse By

What is casein found in milk and why is it banned in some countries?

Casein is a protein of high biological value that is found in milk and some derived products such as cheese, yogurt or kefir. In fact, it makes up 80% of the proteins in cow’s milk and has a slower absorption compared to whey, which makes up the remaining 20%, so it provides nutrients gradually and continuously during sleep. For this reason, it is known as a ‘slow protein’ and has an anticatabolic effect, that is, it prevents the muscle from degrading and contributes to regenerating muscle fibers, in addition to having a high calcium content that strengthens the bone system and the tooth enamel. Casein is also an aid for athletes who do strength exercises, since it provides the protein value that the body needs.

Despite its health benefits, this protein should not be abused, as it can cause side effects if abused. Among those that have been observed, four stand out:

– Increased mucus. The respiratory system is obstructed, preventing the transport of oxygen with complete fluidity. Thus, poor casein digestion is associated with worsening sinusitis, rhinitis, asthma or otitis.

– Allergies: casein is one of the milk proteins that causes the most allergies.

– Kidney damage. If the kidneys are functioning smoothly, there is nothing to fear. However, in people predisposed to kidney damage, there is a negative impact when this protein is added to the diet.

– It could increase the risk of type one diabetes, especially in children.

Recently, some countries such as Mexico have banned some dairy products due to their high caseic content. In large quantities, sodium caseinate, a derivative of casein, stimulates appetite and causes addiction to products that contain it, as well as causing neurological diseases in the long term. In Spain, the limit for the presence of this protein in foods artificially is set at 1%, so it is good to check the ingredients of the products to know if it contains sodium caseinate or monosodium glutamate, another name. by which it can be named.